There are many books for those new to Python, new to programming, or both. Powerful Python is different. Written for experienced developers like you, its carefully crafted chapters teach intermediate and advanced strategies, patterns, and tools for modern Python. Focused on Python 3, with full support for 2.7.
DRM-free digital upgrade: powerfulpython.com/book-upgrade
"Feels like Neo learning Jiu jitsu in the Matrix." - John Beauford (@johnbeauford)
"I just wanted to let you know what an excellent book this is... I keep going back to your book to learn Python." - Fahad Qazi, London, UK
"Thanks. Keep up the good work. Your chapter on decorators is the best I have seen on that topic." - Leon Tietz, Minnesota, USA
"Powerful Python is already helping me get huge optimization gains." - Timothy Dobbins (@TmthyDobbins)
"What have I found good and valuable about the book so far? Everything honestly. The clear explanations, solid code examples have really helped me advance as a Python coder... Thank you! It has really helped me grasp some advanced concepts that I felt were beyond my abilities." - Nick S., Colorado, USA
For data scientists, back-end engineers, web developers, sysadmins, devops, QA testers and more. What's included:
- An unrelenting selective spotlight on what's most valuable and impactful to working, full-time, professional Python developers
- Well-researched, detailed, realistic code on almost every page, powerfully illustrating key points. Very little "toy code"
- How to use decorators to add rich features to functions and classes; untangle distinct, frustratingly intertwined concerns in your code; and build powerful, extensible software frameworks
- How to use Python in ways that incentivize other developers to use and re-use your code, again and again... amplifying the impact of the code you write, and boosting your reputation among your peers
- Powerfully and easily weave iterators and generators throughout your applications, making them massively scalable, highly performant, and far more readable and maintainable
- How to fully leverage Python's exception and error model... giving you a detailed understanding even experienced Pythonistas often lack, and putting some of the most powerfully Pythonic exception-handling patterns in your toolbox
- How "magic methods" imbue natural, readable, expressive syntax into your classes and objects... and how to "break the rules" to craft stunningly intuitive, compellingly reusable library interfaces
- Valuable and powerful design patterns, and how Python's special language features give you uniquely powerful implementations not possible in other languages
- Deep and detailed instruction on how to write practical, realistic unit tests... using test-driven development to easily get into a state of flow... where you find yourself implementing feature after feature, keeping your focus with ease for long periods of time
- How to rapidly set up effective logging for scripts, sprawling Python applications, and everything in between
- An enthusiastic and unapologetic focus on Python 3, and what makes it great... with full explanation and support for getting the same results with Python 2.7
More at PowerfulPython.com.